Loving kindness meditation retreat in Ladakh
Loving kindness meditation retreat in Ladakh
When you participate in this meaningful retreat in Ladakh, you will also be awe-inspired by the enthralling vista of the place. Loving kindness meditation retreat offers you a unique opportunity to awaken your heart and to explore yourself.
Compassion (karuna) and loving kindness (metta) are the key qualities that are highly regarded in Buddhism. We are reminded that when we face grave concerns regarding humanity, we should respond to the chaos with compassion. Since, the virtue of compassion and kindness is the most effective antidote to cope with suffering. Compassion is about recognizing the suffering of others and wishing for that suffering to be alleviated.
Loving kindness is an important aspect of the Buddhist way of life. In Buddhism, loving kindness is something that should be extended to all beings, without exception. It is of course challenging as it even includes people who do us harm. Loving kindness meditation is one way to develop this quality more extensively. The method is simple and when applied consistently is also very effective. First, one generates feelings of loving kindness to oneself; then to a friend or relative; next to a neutral person and then finally to someone you feel angry towards. In this way, feelings of hostility are washed away and the destructive energy that has been directed towards the person in mind can be redirected more towards positive channels.
At the beginning of the retreat, you will be provided with a general introduction on Buddhism. There will be two sessions specifically for the retreat on loving kindness. Prayer sessions, exploration of Thiksey and Hemis monastery, self meditation as well as the guided meditation are also some of the important activities of the retreat. You will have an opportunity to partake in question and answer sessions during the retreat. As we would highly encourage you to engage actively in the question and answer session as Buddha once said that:
“Just as a goldsmith tests his gold
By burning, cutting and rubbing it,
So you must examine my words
And accept them,
But not merely out of reverence”
Chod healing session with Tibetan Yogi is another important highlight of the loving kindness retreat. A short trek after visiting Pangong Lake before winding up the retreat is a wonderful opportunity to reflect on the experiences and learning. As we wrap up this retreat, we hope that you will recall this experience as a meaningful and a unique one.
Our Retreat Teacher: Geshe Karma La
Day to Day program detail
- Day 01- / ARRIVAL AT LEH
- • After your arrival at Leh Kushok Bakula Airport, check into your respective hotel. • If you are already in Leh, you have to report at our hotel between 10-12 am. • 13:30 -14:30- Welcome lunch and briefing session with fellow participants • 15:00 – 19:00 – Free time and preparation for retreat • 19:00 – 20:30 – Dinner
- Day 02- / Departure to Thiksey nunnery (Home stay)
- • After breakfast, departure to Thiksey and check into the retreat centre • 13:00 – 14:30 – Lunch • 14:30 – 16:00 – General introduction on Buddhism & also on Compassion & Loving kindness • 16:00 – 16:30 – Tea break • 16:30 – 17:30 – Q& A session • 17:30 – 18:15 – Guided meditation • 19:00 – 20:00 – Dinner • 20:00 – 21:00 – Free time • 21:00 – Light off
- Day 03 - / Day 3 to Day 5: Retreat at Thiksey nunnery
- • Our morning starts with a brewing cup of Tibetan medicinal herbal tea • 5:30 – 7:00- Prayer session and self meditation • 8:00 – 9:00 - Breakfast • 9:00 – 10:30 – 1st Session of the retreat on Compassion & Loving kindness • 10:30 – 11:00 – Break • 11:00 – 12:30 – 2nd Session of the retreat on Loving kindness • 12:30 – 13:30 – Lunch • 13:30 – 14:30 – Free time • 14:30 – 16:00 – Q& A session • 16:00 – 16:30 – Break • 16:30 – 18:00 – Guided meditation • 18:00 – 19:30 – Dinner • 19:30 – 20:30 – Free time for self (relaxation/reflection) • 20:30 – Light off
- Day 06 - / Explore the Thiksey monastery and Hemis monastery
- • Our morning starts with a brewing cup of Tibetan medicinal herbal tea, followed by prayer and meditation for 45 minutes from 7:30 AM. Thereafter we’ll proceed for breakfast. • After breakfast will travel to the town of Lamayuru, a spectacular 4-5 hour drive outside of Leh. Our journey weaves through remote mountain passes and deep river valleys that embed themselves eternally in your heart and mind. We will visit the local monastery • We will climb to Lamayuru meditation center. Lamayuru meditation center is a beautiful valley where there’s small community of yogis, lived and practice a kind of tantric meditation that was practiced in ancient Tibet by great yogis like Milarepa, Naropa. Get a chance to meet and interact with Yogis and attend the Chod prayer lead by Yogis. • Chod ritual is an esoteric tantric practice aiming at cutting your ego or attachment to your body by mental visualizing the offering of your body to all sentient being especially to the restless hungered creatures of the spirit world. • Later we’ll have lunch at the retreat Centre with a typical local style. • After lunch drive back to Leh. • Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner provided(B+L+D)
- Day 07- / Thiksey – Pangong Lake over Changlha pass
- • Our morning starts with a brewing cup of Tibetan medicinal herbal tea followed by an hour of prayer & self meditation. • After having breakfast, drive towards Pangong via Changlha pass-17,350 ft. • Lunch will be en-route. • On arrival at the spectacular Pangong lake, we will check in at Pangong Sarai located in serene Maan village. Evening stroll at the shore and catching the final sunset on the lake will fill you with marvels of the nature. • Overnight at Pangong Sarai camp.
- Day 08 - / Pangong Lake
- • Our morning starts with a brewing cup of Tibetan medicinal herbal tea followed by an hour of prayer & self meditation. • After breakfast, we will set forth on a short trekking from Naan village to Marek village. While trekking, you will be captivated by the scenic vistas: an opportunity to have a peaceful conversation with the nature. • After the short trekking, enjoy a picnic lunch at Marek village and return back to camp. • In the evening, we will have guided meditation if weather and time allowed. • Overnight at Pangong Sarai camp.
- Day 09 - / Pangong Lake – Leh
- • After breakfast drive back to Leh. Picnic lunch on the way. • Evening farewell dinner and closing scarf ceremony • Overnight at the Leh in Hotel
- Day 10- / Departure
- • After breakfast check out from hotel and departure to your own destination
- Assistance upon arrival and departure
- Accommodation on Twin sharing basis as per listed above
- 10-Breakfast, 10-Lunch and 10 Dinner
- 01 mineral water bottles per person per day
- Environment fee / Entry fee to all sites
- All applicable present government taxes
- Guidance of Dharma Teacher (Geshe-la) for teaching and meditation
- All the tour are escorted by Soulful Tour escort
- Complementary Tibetan herbal tea
- Cushion for meditation and teaching
- FM radio for teaching translation
- Single supplement 400 USD (If you wish to stay in single room)
- Medical and Travel Insurance (Compulsory)
- International flight ticket
- Visa fee (You must obtain your own Visa)
- Drinks (Alcoholic)
- Any Kind of Personal Expenses, Optional Tours
- Anything not specified under the head "Prices included"
- Extra meals above Itinerary, Laundry, Telephone Charges
- Any type of Natural Crises, Road Blocking and Flight Delay Charges
Also see: Our Travel Guide to Bodhgaya 2017